I’ve revived the Marauder simple CNC design project so I wanted to look look at the specifications of the machines I’ve been using. It can help guide some of the parameters of the new machine.
Here’s a rough summery of how to use CNC machines. It’s due for a rewrite but it shows a bit of my software process. Dust is an issue with these machines but it’s solvable! Check out my dust control article. It also has a list of a few CNC projects a the bottom! Also, you may be interested in 3D printing or CNC laser.
Here are some details of my CNC machines.
Chinese CNC 6040
It was dead on arrival. It had a bent spindle shaft and some bent metal and the electrical worked only intermittently. I repaired it and eventually all electrical was replaced by a Xylotex 4-axis kit system.
These are the specifications (I think, I need to verify if this from a quote from another machine I considered)
- Dimension: 900*650*450mm
- XYZ rails, 20mm, 16mm supported, 13mm
- Drive unit: 1605 ball bearing linear + cased muff coupling
- Driving Units: 1605 Ball Screws (20, 16, 13mm)
- 6061 aluminum alloy + 6063 Industrial aluminum
- Work area: 580mm x 400mm x 60mm
- Max thickness of the material: 790mm (distance between Z axis and bottom of work station)
- Work station: 750*480mm
- Spindle motor: C57 300W DC motor, used, from USA, super-low noise, speed 3000-9000, ER11 3.175 collet
- Spindle accuracy: radial runout 0.03mm
- Control box (electrical): 3977 3-axis control box with the power supply + spindle speed regulator
- Engraving speed: 0-2500mm/min
- Idle load speed: 0-5000mm/min
- Resetting accuracy: better than 0.03mm
- Engraving accuracy: better than 0.04mm, has been tested
- Stepper motor: New 2.8A two-phase 57 stepper motor
- Weight: 60KG
- Power: 110V
Here’s one of the earlier jobs I ran on this machine.
HDPE CNC Machine
I bought this machine near Montreal.
- HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)
- 0.75″ shaft with super-oilite self-lubricating bronze bushings (inside HDPE bloc)
- 1/2-10 Acme Lead Screws
- 24 t-nuts threaded steel (1/4-20) inserts for convenient fastening of the workpiece.
- This model allows you to change the sleeves blocks for real bearings block (TWA12UU, SPB12 etc).
- Table size: 26 x 20.5 (inches)
- Travels: X-13.0 Y-16.0 Z-4.0 (Inches)